Emese Balla: The Effects of Climate Change on Harghita County’s Agriculture

Several global agreements have been signed in the past decades and international negotiations focus more and more frequently on the issues of climate change and the possibilities to adapt to its effects. Agriculture is economy’s branch that is severely affected by climate change. However, these effects are not always negative ones, on some territories they might bring by favourable conditions for the cultivation of never before cultivated plants. In Harghita county’s economy, agriculture is an important factor, although conditions for cultivating plants are far behind the national average.

The aim of the study is to analyse the climate change’s effects on Harghita county’s agriculture. I have gathered data on the last 40 years’ climate and linked them to the yield of those plants cultivated on the largest scale. I also present the partial results of a previous research where I asked farmers from the Giurgeu basin how they perceived the effects of climate change and what ways of adaptation they found possible.

Támogatóink

bga szemle

Gyergyóremete Község Önkormányzata

Gyergyóújfalu Község Önkormányzata